Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Old Rag Mountain - the Fun Kind of Challenging

I'll never forget my first hike up Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park (https://www.hikingupward.com/snp/oldrag/). I was 11 years old. My youth pastor planned an overnight camping trip at the top of the mountain, so we had to carry everything up in backpacks. I will never forget the switch backs, and the female counselor who made us take a break every 100 yards (for her to rest). They were challenging, especially with the extra weight. The fun really began when we got to the rocky parts of the trail. We had to work as a team to help each other up and to lift backpacks up some of the rocky ledges. It felt so dangerous. I loved it. There were a number of scenic overlooks on the way up too. I remember feeling amazed at how beautiful it was and how far I could see. When we finally reached the top at the end of the day, I felt so accomplished. We ate dinner and camped out at the top (which I don't think they permit any longer).

About 15 years later, I decided to pay homage to my old pal, Old Rag Mountain. My friend, Jen,

hadn't hiked it before.  We decided to camp out at Big Meadow Campground on Skyline Drive for two nights. On the first day, we hiked a bit of the Appalachian Trail. It was pretty awesome that the trail ran right by our campsite. We even ran into a couple of black bears, which felt equally scary and exciting. Big Meadow Campground is a great spot. They have a big camp store, which we needed because we forgot a few things (like socks).

On day two, we headed to Old Rag Mountain. The switch backs were a lot less exhausting without the backpack, but they were still a good workout. The views were even better this time. Its amazing how much more you appreciate nature's beauty as an adult. The rocky parts of the trail were my favorite, again. It was a great hike, and it only took a few hours this time. Its important to note that both of my visits to Old Rag Mountain were during the week. I hear there are a lot more hikers on the weekends.

I bragged about my Old Rag Mountain excursions to my husband enough times that he decided to go. He loved it too, and now he tells his friends about it. Its the kind of hike you know that other people will love, whether they are seasoned hikers or not. Its a challenging hike, but the beauty and ever-changing trail keep it interesting and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you visit this location too? Share your comments and thoughts here: